[aklug] Re: windoze 7 sucks

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 10:16:10 AKDT

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, jonr@destar.net wrote:

> Again, a linux server has nothing by default out of the box to do this
> in an enterprise, MS does.

MS does not. It has half of what you want. Distros may not bundle them
with the core OS but that's partly because you have *choices*. Even so,
most distros do have some sort of SCM out of the box, and I've abused SCMs
for config management in the past as well.

> Its a lot closer than what linux has out of the box. And that is reality.

See the above. I don't think that what MS does have is remotely compelling
enough. Especially since it's broken just where true config management
systems shine. Config management isn't just about pushing configs, it's
about history and auditing capabilities.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die