[aklug] AD Replacement

From: Lee <lee@afabco.org>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 16:12:17 AKDT

There really isn't one.

I'm a newb to AD and am actually coming at it with an open mind (for a change). The
first thing to understand is that AD is -not- LDAP, nor vice versa despite what the
googledump says. AD incorporates and uses LDAP, but LDAP as we understand it is just
one component of AD.

AD is not really suited to the *nix way of thinking and doing. It's one of
those 'could be done' things, but it'd be like mixing apples and <insert your
favourite here>. Probably the closest thing functionality-wise that I've actually
worked with that approaches the global admin aspects of AD is webmin, but it appears
to have fallen from favour. Or not; I haven't seen it much lately.

There's also 389-Server, http://directory.fedoraproject.org/ which looks very
promising; like maybe an 'openldap the next generation'. I hope to be able to take it
for a spin. Someday. Maybe. Maybe even integrate it into our AD structure and then
tag our linux boxes to the 389server. Someday. Maybe.

Oh, and as an aside, We run linux server to desktop (my desktop, which is also used
for termservices); we also use a lot of XP boxes for those that need them.

Then there's novell's eDirectory. I know nothing other than the name for that.