[aklug] Re: Windows question: this account is locked

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Mon Oct 11 2010 - 10:44:52 AKDT

Quoting Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>:

> On 10/11/2010 10:09 AM, Kevin Miller wrote:
>> Christopher Howard wrote:
>>

>>> Yes and yes. Although, I should say I've never logged in /per se/
>>> because the OS logs itself in automatically to the admin account and
>>> launches some custom software.
>>
>> Another thing to try - go to "My Computer", Manage, and drill down to
>> the Users folder. Right click on the Administrator account and it may
>> be that the "Don't allow user to change password" (or something to that
>> affect) box is checked.
>>
>> ...Kevin
>
> There does not seem to be any such option when I right click on the
> account, or if I right click and select properties. However, an "Account
> is locked out" box is checked.
>
> If I uncheck this box, and then I try to reset the password through the
> "User Accounts" control in the Control Panel, Windows still does not let
> me change the password (same error). Then, when I go back to the account
> properties, I see the "Account is locked out" box is checked again.
>
> If I right-click on the account (From the Computer Management window) I
> do see a "Set Password" option. However, if I click on it, it tells me
> that information will be irreversibly lost and that I should not use
> that method except as a last resort, which makes me afraid to proceed.
> Is it okay to set the password that way?

What is logging into the box as admin and what does it run when it
logs in and is it important? If you change the password whatever is
logging into it will also need to know the new password if it is hard
set.

Just something to think about before you change the password. Of
course, if you know the old passwd then you could always change it back.

Jon