[aklug] Windows question: this account is locked

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Mon Oct 11 2010 - 09:11:03 AKDT

Hate to ask Windows questions on a LUG, but it's kind of an emergency
and all the Windows techies are out on vacation. I need to change the
password on a Windows XP box. (It's part of a larger system that must
have sync'd passwords on all boxes.)

The account I need to change is the only Administrator account on the
system. I tried to change it last Friday: Windows let me go through the
entire password change procedure, even up to entering the new password
twice. But then it tells me "Windows cannot change this password because
the account is locked." (Or something fairly close to that.)

I thought maybe the wrong password had been entered too many times, and
that the account was on some kind of timed lock-out. However, I left it
alone the entire week-end and today I still cannot change the password.
(Same error.)

I have been looking through the registry (the system automatically logs
into this account on startup) but I am not sure how to edit the reg. to
allow me to change the password on the account.

--
Christopher Howard
http://frigidcode.com