[aklug] Re: Raid "degraded"?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Oct 08 2010 - 08:41:00 AKDT

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Christopher Howard wrote:

> cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1] [multipath] [raid0] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
> [raid10]
> md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1]
> 9767424 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
> md1 : active raid1 sdb5[1]
> 477540032 blocks [2/1] [_U]
>
> unused devices: <none>

<snip>

> I don't see a "Failed Device", but it says that the state is "degraded".
> What does this mean?

Do you see the underscore? You should have a 'U' for every RAID member, if
it's an underscore that's a member down or missing. Since you can see the
active RAID is only comprised of sdb then odds are it's your sda drive
that's failing. If you want confirmation of this you can hot-add it
(assuming your system can even talk to it still) and see if it gets dropped
while resync'ing the arrays.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die