[aklug] Re: smart phone security

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 20:09:44 AKDT

Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 18:54:54 -0800
From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Subject: [aklug] smart phone security

One thing I learned working at Ft. W. is that in "confidential" or
sensitive areas on military property, the policy is not to allow cell
phones in those areas. The reason given is, they say, that cell phones
have some kind of "maintenance mode" that can be turned on by a special
signal from any cell tower, which turns the cell phone into a
broadcasting microphone. (I.e., allowing bad guys to use anyone else's
cell phone to listen in remotely.)

Is that really possible now, with today's smart phones?

Short answer: yes!

Long answer: yes, and has been a real problem in the past, and not just on
military bases. iPhone had a security hole in it a while back that made news.
People were taking over cell phones remotely, listening in on conversations when
the phone was on not in use, wvwn allowing the camera even to be used. And the
owner might not even know it. Think that one has been patched, but it's still a
concern as far as I know. Smart phones run on some OS, just like a desktop, and
holes do turn up that allow people to take over them.