[aklug] Re: OpenOffice changes to LibreOffice

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 07:18:37 AKDT

On Tuesday 28 September 2010 23:03:04 michael huff wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:
> > I like this move by folks. Creating a foundation continue the
> > development of
> > OpenOffice > LibreOffice. LibreOffice 3.3.0 beta1 is available in rpms &
> > debs,
> > new graphics & logo ...cool.
> >
> > http://www.documentfoundation.org/
> >
> > OOis my mainstay for work. I was apprehensive when Oracle took over. This
> > and the
> > Open Document stuff (.odf) are a great path forward.
> >
> > --
> > Peace,
> >
> > Greg
> > ---------
> >
> > Now all we need is LibreBox and LibreSQL...
>
> Snarkiness aside, this is an encouraging sign in light of Oracle buying up
> everything in sight...

I must be missing some emails in this thread.

Not fond of the new name myself.
I think the term Libre is lost on the average person, even using the US version,
Free, only means beer to most folks. And free is only worth what you pay for it.

i trust Oracle, trust them to be a large super secret bottom line corporation.
Good for them and their shareholders, not good for a community piece of software.

--
Peace,
Greg