[aklug] Re: encoding and aac in Ubuntu Lucid (10.04)

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2010 - 14:08:38 AKDT

On Sunday 26 September 2010 21:04:06 barsalou wrote:
> Because aac is a non-free codec, the developers of Ubuntu have decided
> to remove the aac encoder from their build of ffmpeg. This causes
> problems because the aac codec is used quite a bit in various ways.
>
> I ran across the link below and was able to use choice C. Medibuntu as
> an easy way to get the aac encoder installed.
>
> I did have to remove ffmpeg and libavcodec-extra-52 before completing
> the steps.

> I'd be interested to know if this works for anyone using a fresh
> install, because I ran across about 10 other ways to accomplish this
> and failed and worry that my previous steps may have also contributed
> to this getting resolved.
>
> In the mean time, I'm looking for an audio codec that I can use on my
> Android (1.5) phone along with video.
>
> Mike B.

Not sure what the 'other ten ways' are, but here goes anyway :-) If Ubuntu or
Debian don't allow this stuff on their servers, these third party sites are
mandatory, for packages, afaik.

I use 'medibuntu' in my sources list, for the restricted bits that Ubuntu doesn't
want to be liable for. Since Ubuntu comes as a desktop environment you do the
uninstall/re-install bit. i don't do much on my Ubuntu box, libdvdcss for playing
my dvd's.

Debian has 'debian-multimedia', (dm) which I know a bit more about. It is a
server located in France and has a substantial repo of packages. I explicitly
use libdvdcss, and dvdrip. dvdrip has lots of depends, ffmpeg, transcode, and
more that have been compiled to include the excluded bits in the US.

--
Peace,
Greg