[aklug] Re: Help - Need to locate GCI IP Address

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Tue Sep 21 2010 - 12:49:52 AKDT

On Tuesday 21 September 2010, K. Savage elucidated thus:
> I too stumbled across the Prey Project that was mentioned earlier by
> Ted (a friend told me about Undercover for Macs, and I was looking
> around for an open-source alternative). I am definitely going to look
> into that software when I have a laptop to call my own again (whether
> my stolen one returns or I get a new one). I would recommend that
> other people look into it as well, it could save a lot of headache
> later on down the road.

Sounds great...but kind of a catch-22. My hard drive is encrypted. It
won't even boot without a password, rendering something like this
useless for finding my laptop.

Data security: can't get the laptop back.
Possession security: data is freely available. :)

I suppose I could do something like an encrypted home directory, making
the laptop bootable. That might be an option.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A