[aklug] Re: bash die

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Sep 15 2010 - 21:30:36 AKDT

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Christopher Howard wrote:

> That /so/ does not count. That's some very impressive coding there (no
> sarcasm) but a Makefile that calls itself recursively is definitely not
> preserving assigned variable values across commands.

:-) But that's how you do it in gmake. It essentially only makes it easy to
support localized copies of variables, but, then, it's not a general purpose
scripting language, either. For simple "scripts", though, it's probably
sufficient.

> Since you didn't provide any super-fancy example to go with that, I
> can't say much. But somehow I'm guessing writing a library of bash
> functions is a lot easier that writing a library of Makefile targets
> pretending that they are bash functions.

My default rule in the example is essentially being used as a function, and
a recursive function, at that.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die