[aklug] Grub not recognizing kernel executable format

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Tue Sep 14 2010 - 14:35:08 AKDT

Hey, I've been working with my whole "assemble Linux inside a tiny VM
idea. I started by following LFS, but then I gave up on that because I
wasn't really what I wanted. (LFS assumes you want to build your own
development environment on the new system and then build the rest of
your system using that development environment. I actually just want to
build the components externally and copy them into the disk image of my VM.)

Anyway, I used losetup and kpartx to get to the point where I could copy
binaries into the root partition, and I also installed GRUB onto the
MBR. (Probably should have used lilo, but whatever...) Since I don't
know what I'm doing really, I thought the next thing I'd do would be to
build a static kernel, and then install the kernel and the System.map
into /boot, and see if grub could get as far as booting into that
kernel. (No coreutils installed yet.)

So, I booted up into the image using qemu, Grub came up fine, but when I
boot up my configured option I get this:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinux

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

Press any key to continue...

My grub config is:

default 0
timeout 5

title=tiny
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.35.5

My device map is:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb

So, I'm trying to figure why grub is not recognizing the executable
format of the kernel I built and copied in. Where do you think I might
have gone wrong? When I built the kernel, I just used "make menuconfig"
and tried to remove everything that didn't look essential. Then I copied
the compiled "vmlinux" file and the System.map to the /boot dir on the
images root partition.

--
Christopher Howard
http://frigidcode.com