[aklug] Re: NetBSD on Cobalts

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 12 2010 - 20:28:25 AKDT

> qemu-system-mips

I hadn't thought of that. Actually, I did look to see if Virtualbox
would emulate a mips, but it doesn't. I should have kept looking.

I looked at the NetBSD site. The recommendation there is gxemul. It's
original function seems to have been to emulate a mips box that a
complete install of BSDs & other Unix-like OSs can be put on. They even
have a section on emulating a Cobalt Qube.

http://gxemul.sourceforge.net/gxemul-stable/doc/guestoses.html#netbsdcobaltinstall

What I'm looking to do at this point is not so much to boot the drive
out of the Qube on something else and see if it works. I think I learned
enough from my side-by-side comparison that I'm confident my current
issue is not enough memory.

What would be nice is that once I actually have a box that approaches
being useful would be having NetBSD running in a mips emulator for
checking out how putting more stuff on it will affect things or figuring
out what I need to do to properly install 'whatever' without breaking
the production box. There also happens to be an available package for
Fedora.

Thanks,

--
Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>