[aklug] Re: NetBSD on Cobalts

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 12 2010 - 15:06:58 AKDT

Did a little more poking around w/ NetBSD under Virtualbox. I realize
that in one case I'm using x86 and the other mips, but ...

What I've found is that right around 32 MB seems to be a tipping point
and there probably isn't much point in going any further until I find
some more ram. I think I'll need to re-install and tell it to create
some swap as well to give me a little breathing room. The default
install apparently doesn't create a swap partition w/ NetBSD.

NetBSD w/ 64 MB
        boots normally, Webmin works, 'cat /proc/meminfo' shows 21804K
        free

        w/ 32 MB
        boots normally, Webmin still works, 'cat /proc/meminfo' shows
        120K free

        w/ 30MB
        boots normally, Webmin starts - goes to all white page when
        access attempted, NetBSD/Virtualbox terminal window shows uid 0
        killed due to lack of swap, 'cat /proc/meminfo' shows 36K free.

--
Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>