[aklug] Re: CPU/RAM on older hardware

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 19:46:10 AKDT

I had the soundblaster 16 and cdrom kit from creative labs. I was only 16 so
it was my family's computer but I pretty much used it exclusively. My father
gave me his old IBM AT 286 which was quite obsolete by 1993 standards and
could only run DOS AOL and Wordperfect.
I never tried FreeBSD on it because ... well it wasn't mine :-) ... and the
SoundBlaster 32 Awe/cdrom had a proprietary IDE controller on it. I knew the
OS would not work with it and it would become a nightmare. I highly doubt
either Linux or FreeBSD would recognize it.

When I graduated highschool I bought a Pentium 166 which I played with NT 4
and I think Caldera OpenLinux Lite 1.2 by 1997 or 1998.