[aklug] Re: View docx files

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 21:19:27 AKDT

On Saturday 04 September 2010 19:26:22 barsalou wrote:
> Quoting jonr@destar.net:
> > Quoting barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>:
> >> I'm looking for alternate ways to view docx files on my Linux laptop.
> >> OpenOffice opens them just fine, but because the laptop I'm using is
> >> memory starved, it tends to take a little while.
> >>
> >> I've googled around a bit and have found some references to conversion
> >> sites and of course, links to OpenOffice.
> >>
> >> Has anyone ran across a way to just view docx files without the entire
> >> overhead of OpenOffice?
> >
> > Have you looked at Abiword or Antiword?
> >
> > Jon
>
> antiword didn't open the docx style file, abiword did open it, but the
> numbering of paragraphs got lost. Didn't matter in this case, but
> just wanted folks to be aware.
>
> I'm going to try and find one of those firefox add ons, and see what
> that might offer.
>
> Mike B.

OpenOffice is the only app that I have found to get as close to the original
intent of a .docx( MS ooxml) file.

Abiword is still working on supporting the odt (ooxml) version.

Here is a link that illustrates the problems of trying to use/convert MS
standard :( of ooxml.

http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blogspot.com/

--
Peace,