[aklug] Re: CPU/RAM on older hardware

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 18:00:59 AKDT

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Hey, those of you (really old people) who had PCs back in the MS-DOS
> days: what were the CPU speed, RAM, and hard drive size of your PC?
>
> When I was real young, I remember my uncle used to play Monkey Island on
> a machine with 80M hard drive space, but I can't remember the other specs.

My first x86 system didn't even have a hard drive. It was a Tandy 1000EX,
256KB of RAM, 5.4" 360K floppy drive, and TGA (basically just 16 color CGA)
graphics. Screamed at 4.77MHz. It was actually a good little system.

I current still have a Sharp luggable with an 8085 processor (not that
crippled 8086 ;-) with 768KB of RAM. The lower half of this cinder block is
a 10MB hard drive. Built-in 300 baud modem, back-lit LCD display with
monochrome CGA emulation, and dual 5.4" floppy drives. I think that
processor is clocked at 3MHz. Kick ass. :-)

Of course, that was all light years beyond my first computer (which I still
have): a Timex Sinclair 1000. Z80 processor with 4KB of RAM with an
optional 16KB brick expansion.

Or my TRS-80 MC10, with a Motorola MC6803 running at a blistering 0.89MHz,
also with 4KB of RAM (and the optional 16KB brick). I think I still have
that one as well. I know I have the CC3, a TI 99/4A, and an Apple IIc.

My wife, BTW, would probably bake you cookies if you happen to break into
the place and clear all that stuff out. ;-) I am armed, though, so factor
that into your decision making process...

One of these FNLs we should get every one to bring the oldest machine they
have. I know there's still a few CP/M machines floating around, and perhaps
an Altair?

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die