[aklug] Re: FriLinux Cobalt Qubes

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 21 2010 - 21:57:07 AKDT

Might have to take you up on that.

I have also seen some information that implies there are limitations in
the firmware of how recent a kernel can be used because of the size of
the compiled kernel. Seems to be around the 2.4.18. I don't remember
what site that was on, so that kernel # could be off, but it was around
there. I think there was some updated firmware at some point that
changed this limitation.

Have done some poking around and have found alternative installs of
Debian, Gentoo, CentOS, & netBSD. All seem to say, or at least imply,
that they can be put on the 2700. Then you find "requires built in
serial port". Actually, Gentoo is the only one that said up front it
would be difficult, if not impossible, to put their stuff on due to the
lack of a serial port.

I did find one interesting place that has step-by-step on making a
custom restore CD, with your own packages:

http://cobaltfaqs.com/index.php/Main_Page#RAQ_1.2C_RAQ_2.2C_Qube_1.2C_Qube_2_.28MIPS.29_Appliances

I hadn't studied it in depth enough yet to figure out how far this could
be taken.

Jim G