[aklug] Re: Coding websites by text editor...

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 21:10:11 AKDT

I have been out of the loop in web programming for awhile.
This argument started in the mac thread about basic editors is similiar to
the arguments of the early 1990s. The UI needs more attention in modern
programming. Until the last couple of years it was not even taught in
computer science. Windows 3.0 apps sucked very bad and didn't have features
like cut and paste with the mouse and were odd. Old x11 apps were bad in
Unix as well a decade ago. The web is the same as many here have used nasty
intranet sites doing work at corporations.

It is time to use modern tools for visual design. It does not mean you are
less of a man for using WYSIWYG candy, but is rather a tool to make sure
what you see on the design screen is what the user will see. On the web this
means great CSS support and textures for buttons and menus that don't look
from 2,000. It means putting a huge emphasis on UI that is equal to the
design of logic of the app. If a user can not find a function then what is
the point of writing it?

As you can tell I am in the IDE crowd. I believe many open source apps like
this and I think we should write one. We wrote Gimp and paint.net to compete
with paintshop pro and photoshop. Just an open source idea that is badly
needed if we want open standards to succeed. I do not have the budget for
$$$ proprietary software but it can do the job quite well. I was thinking of
writing a 3rd party addon for Eclipse and Netbeans that use the desing mode
of Swing with dynamic html instead to have a visual preview of a webpage.