[aklug] Re: Emacs, vi(m) or other

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 13:41:57 AKDT

Does anyone care anymore?
Vi vs Emacs is so 1990s to me (I am younger). Most programmers use an IDE
like Netbeans or Eclipse or some integrated environment where they do not
need a million shells running various tools.

Unix is strange in the fact that everything is a file so text has a much
greater importance in editing compared to other platforms. Of course the one
true editor is this one http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html :-)

Emacs, well I have no reason to use it or memorize its reflexes and
commands. IDE's can do a much better job programming so that leaves simple
text editing to Vim which can do this very efficiently. If this was 1998 I
would want to learn Emacs if I had a large project but I do not need
something like that now. I can do "make x" in vim and create shells just
like Emacs. I suppose if you are good with emacs then you should continue to
use it but I find both vi and emacs more and more obsolete by the day.

Also the gnu debugger is horrible. I wonder if this is because GNU expects
people to run non-threaded programs in a terminal with cryptic commands? If
a visual multi-thread enabled debugger was available you can bet emacs would
be dropped. It is one of the benefits of using VS.NET on Windows.