[aklug] Re: On the subject of certifications...

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 21:21:08 AKDT

On 08/10/2010 08:57 PM, jonr@destar.net wrote:
> Quoting Damien Hull<damien@linuxninjas.tv>:
>

>> That $3000 is just for training and the cert test. It doesn't cover
>> the week you spend in Cali.
>>

> Couldn't you just buy the RHCE book and study that and take the test?
> Or does RH make you go to their training to be able to take the test?

Yes, you can *just* take the test, but you need to take it at an
official testing center.

I took the RHCE 300 course (rapid track and RHCE Exam). I think I got
a 97% or something. I was the first to finish, and I either double, or
triple checked my work just to be sure. I also did all the extra
questions (in one portion, you only needed to do one, but it didn't
count against you, and besides, they were fun). It was a pinch for me.
I can't figure out what the ~3% or so I missed was. Perhaps grammar,
punctuation, or personal attire?

If you aren't familiar with linux, then it'll be hard. If you've been
using CentOS or RHCE for a while, and read the book [1], you should
pass. I was honestly disappointed with the test. A friend of mine also
took it, and said it was too easy as well. I would go for the RHCA, or
the RHCSS, but I doubt work would pay for all those courses, and I hate
travelling out of state all the time.

If you ask me, the RHCE would probably have more weight than an LPI
cert, but a college degree would probably trump that (having both would
be better yet.

[1] I've been told there's a digital copy floating around...