[aklug] Higher education

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 08 2010 - 17:54:01 AKDT

I am in a rough time of my life.
I want an entry level job in management information systems. I have not
worked in I.T. in a couple of years and I took any job I could when the
economy tanked in 2008. All the I.T. jobs here require an A+, MCSE, and 3-5
years of experience. However, many of the jobs will take a masters degree in
substitution of experience. I have 2 years experience on a pc support level
and I already have an A+, and a MCSE in Windows NT and Windows 2000.

I am contemplating getting a masters degree in computer information systems
but have trouble finding a masters degree program that does not involve
daytime classes and I need to work to pay off my wife's student loans. There
is a distance learning computer science degree but the highest math I
completed was algebra II and discrete mathematics. I flunked precalc
initially because I didn't have the time to practice it for hours to really
learn the concepts. The distance learning programs in Alaska do not have
this.

My first question is should I even bother with this? I need money now and
just got a 2nd job at Taco bell (not proud of and embarrassed) but if I can
get an entry level I.T. job I can quit it because it would pay +$800 - $1000
a month from what I am making now as a substitute teacher.

My second question is should I major in computer science. I have a very
analytical mindset but I am disorganized in thought and have a tendency to
transpose numbers. Is the coursework hard if you are dedicated to
practicing? I love algebra but again precalc was very hard for me, but I am
willing to do more homework this time around.

My third question is do employers, or I should HR mind if it is a computer
management degree rather than a computer science degree that is masters
level?

Should I bother or move on if my experience is too entry level and far
behind (masters degree or not)? I am very frustrated as my dream for 10
years was to be a systems analysis and design LAN's, databases, and do
programming. I feel that is the only skillset I know besides some accounting
and HR learned from college as a business administration major for my
undergraduate degree.

Any advice would help.

Thanks

Tim gibney