[aklug] Re: I'm an Android

From: Alan C. <alan@caruth.org>
Date: Sat Jul 31 2010 - 14:23:52 AKDT

If on a GSM network a easy way to get to a no-data plan is to buy a =
unlocked phone off the Internet then move your sim from a standard =
no-data phone into it.=20

As long as the sim doesn't have data service enabled you should be good =
to go. For most (all?) providers if you buy a standard or basic feature =
phone you have the option to get data or not. Then you get exactly what =
you are looking for - no cell data service but you still have the =
ability to do Wifi on a Andriod platform.

Around our office we've got two or three people on Heros (CDMA), a =
couple Nexus One's and as of yesterday a coworker received his Samsung =
Galaxy S. The Nexus Ones and the Galaxy are GSM phones. All of them are =
running on the GCI/Digitel CDMA or GSM network.

-Alan