[aklug] gci & imap vs pop

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 20:54:16 AKDT

I have been using kmail for ages. I have always just used pop to access either
acsalaska or my gci accounts. No google mail stuff please :-)

I am trying out thunderbird, it defaults to imap for receiving mail, and gci
accepts this. Kmail access's the same account with pop. Kmail has a 'leave
message on server' feature which I have used when getting mail while away
from home, laptop.

 This confuses me to no end. My thinking is imap stores email on the server
and allows managing folders etc.

 Do I have messages stored on gci's server when using thunderbird & imap? Is
thunderbird actually just downloading the mail from gci ?

--
Peace,
Greg