[aklug] Re: Geeky Topic of the Week: man pages

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Jul 10 2010 - 07:58:35 AKDT

Quoting Christopher Kunzler <ckunzler@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:53 PM, <choward@indicium.us> wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:48:30 -0600, <choward@indicium.us> wrote:
>>

>>> So, thus far we have apropros KEYWORD (man -k KEYWORD) which looks for a
>>> keyword in a database. Or we have man -K STRING which does a non-indexed
>>> search for an exact string.
>>>
>>> Helpful, of course. But it would also be cool if you could search for
>> "how
>>> to find out why the printer isn't doing anything" and get the top five
>> most
>>> relevant results.

Mr. Howard,

 From your description it really sounds like you are looking for a =20
grammar parser that you can then feed into 'apropos' or 'man'.

With your skill set (and maybe a little ruby :) ) I think you could =20
put the pieces together without too much trouble.

Likely Corliss has a perl One Liner (sm) that could get it done in =20
short order. :)

The whole learning/teaching Linux thing is fascinating because of the =20
different context in which people are wanting/required to learn.

Mike B.