[aklug] Re: Missing dependency

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 08 2010 - 01:18:00 AKDT

I don't think the 32 and 64 bits are compatible. I am not a VM expert but
virtualbox and xen are very low level and cpu dependent in pure assembly
when making calls. They should not be compatible at all if you think about
it logically. The amount of registers and additional instructions are just
not there in 32-bit mode.
I still use 32-bit fedora for weird incompatibilities such as this and
flash. Java took awhile to port to 64-bit on Linux even though it has been
out for awhile in Solaris because of low level differences in its VM. Even
Windows Vista has the same problems and many users downgraded to the 32-bit
version when it was newer.

Redhat mentioned in its release notes that Fedora 13 is depreciating xen in
favor of KVM. If you are upgrading from Fedora 12 it might explain
somethings as its a radical change.