[aklug] Re: Lighttpd vs. Apache: was: Living in the cloud...

From: Michael Fowler <michael@shoebox.net>
Date: Tue Jul 06 2010 - 16:28:36 AKDT

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 11:45:07PM +0000, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Anyone know much about Apache vs. Lighttpd, as far as performance and
> resource demands? I prefer Lighttpd over Apache, but this is mainly
> because Lighttpd seems a heck of a lot easier to configure.
>
> I googled for benchmarks, but I'm having trouble sorting out results.

Can't say I have much experience with lighttpd, but if it's easier to
understand for you, then it's a better fit. Given the flexibility of
Apache it can apply in more situations, but it is subsequently harder to
properly optimize and maintain.

Take benchmarks with a grain of salt; if you have an application, and
you're experiencing heavy load, by all means test different web servers.
A generic benchmark isn't going to help that much.

--
Michael Fowler
www.shoebox.net