[aklug] Re: Getting kids into programming...

From: Ralph Boland <rpboland@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 06 2010 - 13:26:44 AKDT

On 2 July 2010 22:12, Christopher Kunzler <ckunzler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org=
>wrote:
>> Guys:
>>
>> Came across this link on LWN:
>>
>> =A0 =A0http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/programming-scratch
>>
>> It's a GUI-based development environment for a programming language call=
ed
>> Scratch, specifically designed for kids. =A0You basically program by
>> connecting instruction pieces together which, like a puzzle, can only
>> connect if they make semantic sense.
>>
>> MIT host's a Scratch Web Community with 1.1 million projects already
>> available for download. =A0The article author created a simple Pong game=
 in
>> an
>> hour, and some have even done 3D flight combat simulators.
>>
>> Very cool. =A0So much for Logo... <sniff>
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0--Arthur Corliss
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Live Free or Die
>> ---------
>> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>

> Just installed it about week ago for my daughter. =A0I've even had fun pl=
aying
> around on it. =A0 If any of you hot shot geeks come up with a cool progra=
m,
> please share it with the aklug group so I can show my daughter. =A0Thanks
>
> --
> Chris Kunzler
> ckunzler@gmail.com
> (262) 586-9537

If you find scratch cool you might also look at Etoys.
Etoys is also for educational use; it can be found on
the OLPC computers.
I can't resist pointing out that both Scratch and Etoys
are built on top of Squeak which is a version of Smalltalk.
Despite falling into disuse Smalltalk is still a great language
if you have cycles to burn in your application.

Regards,

Ralph Boland

--=20
Quantum Theory cannot save us from the tyranny of a deterministic universe
but it does give God something to do