[aklug] Re: high-jacked email accounts

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Jul 02 2010 - 14:29:23 AKDT

Peter Michael wrote:
> Jim, She should immediately forward the message to abuse@yahoo.com
>
> Go to her yahoo account and open the email with full headers, its an
> option at the bottom of the page, cut paste the data found in the
> full header to the forwarded email message, apparently yahoo requires
> you to do this if you wish them to investigate.
>
> They are pretty good and usually respond in 24 hours. If they cannot
> trace the sender and have this stopped, she will be required to close
> this account and open a new one, suggest to her this time not to give
> out her email address to all and sundry by filling out junk forms on
> websites or messages, this is how this usually happens..better
> still..do not use yahoo mail. If she still needs a web email program,
> use Gmail... their anti-spam filters and other protections are much
> better.

I know a lady here that had her account hijacked last year. There was
a bunch of those - made the news. Also happened at hotmail. The long
and short of it was mostly insecure passwords. Tell her to change her
password (when she's again able) to something really long (10 characters
or more) with mixed case, numbers, and special characters.

Doesn't have to be hard. Take a phrase:
        My Dad drives a '57 Chevy to town.
Turn it into:
        MDda'57Ctt.

Much more secure than the name her dog, which she posted a captioned
photo of on Facebook...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller