[aklug] Re: Comments Please?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Jun 28 2010 - 11:49:06 AKDT

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Peter Michael wrote:

> Hello,
> Found this piece on Raid 5, I always thought that Mean Time to Data Loss was not an issue if Raid 5 was implemented. Maybe I just do not understand the calculation. Can anyone explain (briefly)
> Thanks...
>
> Pete
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/raid-5-theory-reality/983?tag=nl.e550

In a nutshell he's focusing on double-disk failures as a statistical
probability. In other words, double-disk failures are deadly to RAID5 data
and they happen more frequently than many think. This is true, moreso if
you're accustomed to running disks from the same production run.

I still use RAID5 myself, but primarily on a SAN with automatic recovery
with hot standby disks. And I've got a good mix of drives from many
different production runs. Pretty easy to do when you buy mostly used. ;-)

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die