[aklug] Re: Reasonable average server load?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Jun 24 2010 - 11:43:34 AKDT

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Just to reiterate... this isn't actually my server or hardware we're
> talking about. I'm just paying for web space and an ssh login through
> bluehost.com.
>
> But anyway, from what you told me: it looks like the problem isn't too
> much CPU load, but basically disk throttling.

Note that it doesn't answer the question *why* the disk is getting thrashed.
As Adam had mentioned before eating into swap (i.e., insufficient RAM) can
cause the same symptoms on the disk because that's where the swap is. You
didn't mention how much RAM you have in that server, but I'm inferring from
the vmstat output (which is still just an average since boot, since you
didn't poll that) that you're probably not under memory pressure. Since
your cache allocation is so high and that's one of the first things to get
cannibalized under pressure I would think you're fine there. That and your
average swap-in/out per second is zero. Looks like you're just serving up
a lot of content from disk.

You're averaging four processes at a time *waiting* for execution time, too.
That can't be good.

Is that a shared server you're renting, or is it dedicated to you?

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die