[aklug] Re: Last days of unlimited?

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 11:22:33 AKDT

----Original Message----
From: aklug-bounce@aklug.org [mailto:aklug-bounce@aklug.org] On Behalf
Of Computer Rescue Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 10:46 AM
To: WH Bouterse
Cc: aklug
Subject: [aklug] Re: Last days of unlimited?

> I personally think the MTA bandwidth usage policy is one of the s=3D
> tupid=20
> things that MTA is doing. They do not realize that GCI offers u=3D
> nlimited=20
> bandwidth to their customers and as soon as it is available to the=3D m
> the=20
> bandwidth needy will be gone. I live in an area where MTA is my=3D only
> option. I have purchased more bandwidth because I do use Netfli=3D x
> and=20

Hmm. Probably they *do* realize GCI offers unlimited plans.

If the bandwidth needy go to GCI and only the small time users stay with MT=
A, then MTA gets more profit per user.

They'll let GCI worry about what to do with the guy who signed up for an un=
limited plan and then proceeds to grab multiple GB per day in torrent feeds=
.

Hypothetical situation:

If I can charge 10 people $40 a month for bandwidth that only costs me $100=
, then that's $300 a month for operating costs and maybe some profit.

If I charge 10 people $60 a month and nine of them cost me $90 a month in b=
andwidth and the tenth guy costs me $500, I'm losing money.

Let that tenth guy to go GCI and I'm happy again. (And so are my nine rema=
ining customers.)

James=