[aklug] Re: My first experiences with Ubuntu 10.04

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2010 - 22:26:29 AKDT

My netbook and laptop have both been running 10.04 for over a month
now. The last time I actually installed Ubuntu on my laptop was 8.10.
I've been doing upgrades on it since. Sometimes this has introduced
regressions, but I'm pleased to say that 10.04 has fixed all of the
ugly pimply acne sores that I had been grumbling about with 9.10. I'm
pondering a fresh install of 10.04 just to get grub2, but, ya know, I
almost never shutdown on my laptop with 10.04 because (finally!)
suspend works right!

The netbook had a fresh install with 9.10 for grub2, and also because
when I installed 9.04 UNR I had done an encrypted /home install on it.
I was never thrilled with the encrypted /home with 9.10 on a 1.6ghz
Atom netbook because of the slight but noticable performance hit that
I thought I was observing. The upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 went smooth
and error-free with the netbook.

Ubuntu has been a very painless experience for me for the last several months.