[aklug] rsync to the rescue

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Thu May 20 2010 - 20:33:15 AKDT

So I needed to transfer my home directory to another system. I used
scp and walked away....<scary movie music here>.

So when I got back I was out of space, but I had plenty of space to
make the transfer. I knew that scp probably followed symbolic links
until I finally had no space. Ok, start over and set the "do not
follow symbolic links" flag but there isn't a flag for that option in
scp.

I didn't want to mount the drive and it would be nice if I could also
just get what has changed the next time I do this that way it would be
lickety split. So rsync is what I was looking for but I didn't want to
have to set it up to run as a service I just wanted a one liner. And
also what if I wanted to do this through the Internet and make it
secure.

How very simple it all turned out to be.

rsync -azuv -e ssh /home/<directory>/* user@remotehost:/mnt/backup/

But what if I want to go the other way?

rsync -azuv -e ssh user@remotehost:/home/<directory>/* /mnt/backup/

Hopefully that helps somebody else sometime, if not, its a handy way
for me to use the list to document it. ;)

Jon