[aklug] My first experiences with Ubuntu 10.04

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 22:22:18 AKDT

I downloaded the ISO and gave it a shot a few days ago with a fresh install
rather than an install of Ubuntu 9.10 and then an upgrade.
Grub worked this time. However the cdrom version came with the old 1.94 beta
of Grub and not 2.x. I am guessing Cannical did this at the last minute due
to bugs and people complaining. If you upgrade from 9.10 it will try to
install grub-pc aka 2.0.

Anyway it was VERY FAST. KDE looks more complete and it actually does not
suck as much as past versions of kubuntu. THe add/remove software is a great
replacement for synaptic for supported apps that are more integrated and
popular.

The theme is very different. I thought it was interesting but liked the
older Ubuntu brown human themes better. To my disappointment its not
installed and I gave up googling the theme. I installed it from an old 9.10
cdrom lying around.

MY verdict:

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 right now and decided to downgrade for the time
being. The enchancements are nice and it has a different feel to it.
However, I found it very buggy. FIrst I had an issue with grub being toasted
upgrading from 9.10. Hibernate and sleep give me I/O errors when my notebook
tries to wake up. Wifi also does not work after a hibernate either. I have
to do a cold reboot as my drives stay locked. In addition, I also installed
ATI's drivers and compuviz addons only to screw up my Xorg files. There are
4 drivers and I can not figure out which one Ubuntu uses by default. I tried
the rescue kernel and it works some of the time or causes my computer to
lock up. Also my tty's will no longer start up either which I find strange.
I wonder if its the video driver that can not shift back to the frame buffer
when I hit the F keys? Weird.

I will give Ubuntu 10.04 another try this July. 3 months is when Ubuntu
release become stable and 10.04 is a long term release which is a plus for
those who want updates without upgrading their OS every 6 months.

Ubuntu 9.10 is plenty stable and nice to to look at not to mention is less
buggy. Debain might be a better pick for the KDE users out there. Debian is
very stable but I do like having nice fonts and things setup automatically
which is time consuming to setup in Debian.