[aklug] Re: Interesting info on Flash

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Fri May 07 2010 - 08:07:35 AKDT

Huh.

I guess for me it would be "bye bye Youtube and CNN."

(Actually not a very difficult choice for me -- I thought about it and real=
ized that these days I use CNN only to check internet connectivity, and rar=
ely follow Youtube links at all.)

But you are right, most people would use the browser that works, regardless=
 of licensing issues with the particular codec. =20

It would be very similar to the early days of the web when video meant Real=
 Media and their player. I'm sure that is exactly the scenario they're goi=
ng after. The masses get the player for free, but they can charge the cont=
ent creators whatever the market will bear to encode their stuff. Real Med=
ia let the market get away from them, but the proprietary folks are smart e=
nough to learn from past mistakes.=20

James=