[aklug] Re: adding disks to a volset.

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Apr 19 2010 - 19:41:12 AKDT

Quoting "Thomison, Lee" <ThomisonL@muni.org>:

> All,
>
> I've got a [multi-user] RHEL5 machine that is running out of disk in the /=
h=3D
> ome directory. The volumes are set up as LVM volumes (see below). There =
a=3D
> re three physical disks set up as RAID5 (yes, I know) on a hardware raid c=
o=3D
> ntroller.
>
> I have two 300G drives I can use but I'm wondering what the 'right' thing =
t=3D
> o do is? Given that I don't want to rearrange the existing volumes I see=
 =3D
> I have two choices:
>
> 1. =09Add the two 300G drives=3D20
> =09set them up in a mirror in the hardware controller (not even sure I can=
 do=3D
> that yet, but you get the idea).
> =09add them to VolGroup00
> =09add the extra space to dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol07 (which is /home)=
.

> 2. =09Add the two 300G drives
> =09set them up in a mirror
> =09partition it and format it as /home (NOT part of the volset). =3D20
> =09Copy the existing /home (from the volset) onto the new /home (the mirro=
red=3D
> 300G drive).
> =09Change the /etc/fdisk from Volgroup00-LogVol07 to /dev/<whatever>.
>
> I think option one is the right approach, but I've never done this before,=
 =3D
> nor do I know anyone who has. And I don't know what the 'downsides' or go=
t=3D
> chas' may be. Googling just says what a wonderful thing LVM is but a lot =
o=3D
> f it sounds like techiefanboyism. So...what's the right thing to do here?
>
> Thanks!
<snip some>

Lee,

Choice 1 seems the right choice to me as well...that is why you used =20
LVM in the first place.

You don't say which filesystem is on the volume(XFS, EXT3, etc). That =20
will matter with regard to how you have to treat the volumne. Newer =20
versions of EXT3 and all versions of XFS can increase filesystem size =20
while online.

Not a big deal if you were going to tell the users that the volumne =20
would be offline anyway because of the hardware that you have to =20
add....but wanted to bring that to your attention anyway.

Something is digging at the back of my brain telling me that the size =20
of the disks in the existing array matters with regard to the new =20
hardware that you have to add.

But someone with specific hardware related expertise should answer =20
that one. It has been a while since I've had to had disks to an =20
existing hardware array, so my knowledge there is a little thin.

Mike B.