[aklug] Battery charging very slowly

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Apr 17 2010 - 11:49:10 AKDT

I've got a new battery and it re-charges very slowly...I realize that =20
it could be the charging circuit, but wanted to ask if anyone knows of =20
a way to verify that it is the charging circuit that causes this, or =20
maybe electronics in the battery are limiting the charge rate.

I can verify that if I unplug the power from the computer and plug it =20
back in the charge rate is relatively high:

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: charging
present rate: 5301 mW
remaining capacity: 20930 mWh
present voltage: 11400 mV

and after approximately 5 minutes, it moves to this:
cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: charging
present rate: 102 mW
remaining capacity: 21270 mWh
present voltage: 11398 mV

Notice the "present rate" has dropped quite a bit.

I understand that heat might cause the electronics to decide to reduce =20
the charge rate, but this is where my knowledge drops off.

Any ideas?

Mike B.