[aklug] Re: Hello AKLUG

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat Apr 10 2010 - 16:19:01 AKDT

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, William Morita wrote:

> Group,
> I will be moving to Anchorage in the next 6 months from Porland, OR.
> I am active in the local Portland Linux Unix Group (pdxlinux.org) and am
> hoping AKLUG is a similar group.
>
> Since I am not familiar at all with Anchorage, to start with I have a couple
> of questions:
> What are the best local ISP/Internet connections?

Cable or DSL, metered or "unlimited interactive". There are really only
two providers in Anchorage, 3 if you include Eagle River and the Mat-Su
valley.

They each have strong points and issues but are all viable. I will leave
others to fill in the specifics, as I happen to work for one of them.

The consistant thing will be cost. Even in Anchorage we have a lower
density then most lower 48 areas. This leads to a higher cost on the last
mile in general.

The second factor is distance... We all pay the same wholesale per meg
costs, generally in the SEA and PDX areas but all of the providers then
have 1200+ mile backhaul costs (minimum) for said bw.

Anyway, multiple good options, just don't expect the cost to be even close
to Portland metro area services.