[aklug] SuperGenPass = Neat

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri Apr 09 2010 - 08:58:34 AKDT

I am officially holding up my hand to anybody worried about the security of this feature
since you're more than capable of generating/memorizing your own passwords. ;)

That said - I've been using http://supergenpass.com/ and http://supergenpass.com/mobile to
regenerate passwords for common sites that I use based on a smaller set of master
passwords. You can probably guess that my smaller set is topic oriented
(mail/social/ssh/shopping/etc...).

I wasn't satisfied with having a JavaScript version only, since I need to update passwords
all the time so I wrote a quick python script that duplicates the efforts of SuperGenPass.

Python script: http://pastey.net/135084-2b3c

Basically this script gets command line options then runs a loop rehashing password after
password until it finds one that is hashed more or equal too 10 times that meets the
criteria of the original program. I wanted to keep this script and the bookmarklet/mobile
script identical in function as a compliment to one another giving me the ability to
(re)generate passwords with either tool as needed.

I would submit this to the script developer, but he doesn't mention himself.

- Shane