[aklug] Re: Jobs - OT?

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 11:20:24 AKDT

Lol, when I interviewed last for an ASD IT job they wanted a unix person then at
the conclusion of the interview gave me a "test" to determine my skills with
MS-SQL, MS IDEs and MS APIs. While I was expert in integrating MS systems with
*nix, I declined the test as I did not have any of the skills the test
addressed; and I was crossed of their list..... I did have a similar experience
at ASD though when asked about configuring workstations, and the interviewers
did not understand how I was answering their questions....
I don't know who "us" are ;=} but all but VocEd teaching staff at ASD use Macs
(some 3000 users) and OS X is a great OS especially for teachers. PC's cost of
ownership has always been outrageous..... But perhaps the real issue facing ASD
is that they never developed an SA culture whether the focus of IT was to
facilitate the user though Mike may (or may not) have something to say here -
lol. ASD hiring I think is crippled because of the narrow mindsets - and I think
they do have a culture of fear derived from their broad ignorance.

One of the suggestions made by the BRT was the examination of a move to
providing students with a linux based laptop (a contract for 25000 laptops would
have brought the price of a netbook down dramatically and could have resulted in
a real tech training program for high school students to support such
purchasing, with the cost written off as against savings in curriculum, etc.) An
effort to provide laptops to students became so bloated that the final cost was
over an order of magnitude higher than needed...... which of course rendered the
experiment unaffordable on a large scale. Similarly, efforts to buy laptops
for teachers, in failing to address ownership with teachers, potentially will
once again fail as equipment obsolescence is faced, as happened when Jeff Wood
first announced rotational leasing some years ago.

Nevertheless, and perhaps because they did meet their enemy in the mirror, they
almost always have an IT job or two advertised..... and perhaps the prospect of
filing a workman's comp claim over job based nervous distress is not a deterrent
to at least being employed, gainfully or otherwise (and some of the folk at ASD
have done some great work, though don't let anyone know I said that.)

-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature