[aklug] Re: Jobs - OT?

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2010 - 07:58:14 AKDT

While I agree with James that HR staff are clueless (once I was =20
screened out of an SA job because the languages I listed were not on =20
the approved list though no specific language nor programming =20
experience were required) so are many hiring managers. The key I think =20=

is making the screening cut and then making the interviewers feel =20
comfortable.

The hiring manager is not concerned with your degrees. The reason to =20
get a bachelors degree is to broaden your universe, not to pick up =20
marketable skills in the narrow sense.

The real world is dysfunctional in many respects - Dilbert is more =20
accurate than you could ever imagine. I have been pink slipped because =20=

in saving an employer thousands of dollars I unwittingly embarrassed =20
the infrastructure that had approved those unnecessary expenditures ;) =20=

While some argue there are no jobs ASD regularly complains about being =20=

unable to retain qualified IT staff....

Today I would have to say that networking is the most important =20
gateway to employment (except perhaps for the unemployable older =20
members of the "white male Internet hegemony", as one person put it).

I don't know of many gods placing folk in paying positions though, and =20=

as employers gods can be pretty deadly - I would stick with more =20
conventional methods as well as looking for internship opportunities =20
and overseas markets.