[aklug] Re: Gotta get me an i7

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 16:33:12 AKDT

On Monday 29 March 2010, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
> So, at work I'm setting up a Gentoo system on an HP with an i7
> processor (with eight virtual cores). I passed in -j7 as a make
> option, and it built the whole bloody kernel, modules and everything,
> in five minutes. Sweetness.

Five? Wow...I seem to remember Linus T. bragging back in the day that
his four processor system (this was when multi-CPU systems, especially
> 2, were especially rare) only took 2.5 minutes. Must be seriously
I/O bound.

Can I find a citation for that? No...just going off memory.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A