[aklug] Re: Zangle Catastrophy - Sorry if resend

From: Piet van Weel <pmvw@outwardfocus.net>
Date: Tue Mar 16 2010 - 22:15:43 AKDT

**Hey Guys...
Rhonda McBride, a reporter from KTUU-TV, is doing research on ASD's Zangle.
She would like your input, the Good, the Bad, and the *what-the-heck*.
You can reach her at:

Rhonda McBride**
*email: rmcbride@ktuu.com*
*tel: (907) 762-9260 *
*
  - Piet*

On 3/11/2010 12:22 PM, Marc Grober wrote:
> Since there was interested expressed in ASD's decision to pass on open SMS
> solutions and invest millions in Zangle, I tried to copy the item below to the
> list but I think it didn't go through. If it did, my apologies, and I hope I
> can make up for the double send by providing some additional explanation...
> while the ASD budget review team suggested exploration of a number of open
> solutions to the District's SMS problems, ASD eschewed the advice offered and
> bought into C-Innovations product at a price tag of millions and millions of
> dollars. The system employs an MS-SQL data engine and a web server, and the BRT
> anticipated that this architecture would result in catastrophic failure when
> 3000 plus teachers tried to use the system at the same time.
>
> In fact, this past Friday during the teacher release day this multi-million
> dollar "solution" had a catastrophic meltdown, frustrating teachers for several
> hours in the morning until ASD finally acknowledged that it was simply not
> operational. The initial project manager for the ASD SMS project had no
> experience with any similar project. Upon ASD making the decision to buy Zangle
> she was released and replaced with Mary McKean, an ASD principal with no where
> to go.....
> **********
> *****************
> ************************
> Just another ASD Zangle disaster. Friday March 5, the day ASD provides to
> teachers to do report cards, Zangle failed catastrophically (much as the Budget
> Review Team projected it would.) As a result, teachers could not do their report
> cards, which means that ASD suffered a loss of about a quarter of a million
> dollars. How? Because teachers were given the day off to do the report cards,
> and could not do the report cards on that release day, meaning that ASD will
> likely lose a full day of instructional time as teachers will have to do report
> cards on some other occasion. Tip o the hat to Mary McKean, large and in charge
> of the failure, and to her boss, Carol Comeau, who, though responsible for
> failure after failure, gets high marks from Board after Board. Congrats all the
> way round!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100316-1, 03/16/2010
Tested on: 3/16/2010 10:15:46 PM