[aklug] Re: Versioning File Systems

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Mar 03 2010 - 21:54:07 AKST

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com> wrote:
> I was a VMS user while I worked at UAA.
>
> VMS's shell, DCL, supported (and in this case utilized) versioning.
>
> $ show default
> $my_path:[fnord]:
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0history.txt;1 =A0 history.txt;2 =A0 history.txt;3

That reminds me of AtFS (atfs is pretty common in most linux distros,
but rarely used since CVS/SVN is more common)

Christopher there are lots of fuse based filesystems as well as
operating systems like opensolaris that can use zfs and export it over
NFS/SMB. One trick I thought was rather neat with SMB was the ability
to create shadow copy information for Windows clients to use by
enabling the module and setting up directories accordingly.

There is also NILFS.. I freaking love NILFS but it's kinda immature.
While you're at it download Dragonfly BSD and check out HammerFS.. mwa
ha ha ha ha.

Personally, Christian, I would just use SVN + WebDAV and davfs2. Then
I would also use metastore occasionally to back up file
permissions/owner/user/acl info. It's simple to set up and centralize
and fully automatic and mostly atomic.

- Shane