[aklug] Re: Looking to build a new PC..

From: Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 21 2010 - 23:45:12 AKST

I prefer to purchase my computer supplies from businesses here in my
local area. You can get the new system as soon as you get home and its
very easy to return a defective item and do not have to wait a week
and call people in India for support.

I also ask the managers which hardware has the lowest RMA's (returns)
to ensure good quality.

I was a big fan of PC Club before the recession closed them down. I am
sure there are probably shops here with a great product selection with
great custom gear.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Lee Brumbaugh <prellchild@hotmail.com> wro=
te:
> Well I'll try to answer all the questions/comments in this one email. =A0=
Thanks for all the quick replies! =A0I'm thinking of doing a decent gaming =
machine that isn't necessarily the bleeding edge top of the line, but I'm s=
till figuring out the prices difference between a DDR2 and a DDR3 machine. =
=A03 is the future, but could potentially save around $300 in various piece=
s going DDR2. =A0Newegg wanted $40 to ship a processor, video card, and PSU=
 to here. =A0While that's not too bad I guess, it just irks me when they po=
st "free shipping" all over the site and then a little disclaimer that says=
 not to Alaska or Hawaii. =A0If only they'd ship USPS, I'm good with the sl=
ow boat :) =A0I'll have to check out the Cyberpower website. =A0I've also l=
ooked at IBuyPower.com which is a customizable PC ethusiast site.. I did fi=
nd this Cooler Master case which is suppose to be really good http://cmstor=
e.coolermaster-usa.com/product_info.php?products_id=3D433 and it appears th=
ey might actually ship it to here f
> =A0or free. =A0 A friend and I were talking about shipping companies to h=
ere like that ShipToAlaska. =A0Looks pretty good, as I could get Newegg to =
ship there for free, and then have them deliver it to here at a reasonable =
price. =A0Very cool. =A0Does anyone ever buy parts up here anymore? =A0I kn=
ow before Compusa closed they had a little section for cool cases and what =
not, but I don't know if there's any place doing that anymore here.

> Lee
>

> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:14:05 -0700
> Subject: Re: [aklug] Looking to build a new PC..
> From: wattwood@gmail.com
> To: prellchild@hotmail.com
>
> Lee--
> =A0 What's your budget for a new PC, and, what's the primary focus on per=
formance (gaming, desktop, linux)?
> -Will
>
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Lee Brumbaugh <prellchild@hotmail.com> w=
rote:

> All,
>

> My current box is getting to be 4-6 years old and cannot really be upgrad=
ed anymore as it uses DDR1 memory and has a AGP video slot, so I've started=
 looking at putting together new hardware. =A0I've been reading various dea=
l website forums to try to find decent prices but they seem to mostly be to=
 places like Newegg.com that doesn't have free shipping to up here. =A0That=
 being said, has anyone else done any comparative parts shopping lately and=
 had any decent shipping prices? =A0I'd go to Amazon more, but they're pric=
es are a little bit higher which makes it a wash from what I can tell. =A0A=
lso it's been a long time since I've done any digging into video cards and =
processors. =A0Quite a wide range these days it seems.

> Thanks,
>

> Lee

> --
> Take care,
> William Attwood
> Idea Extraordinaire
> wattwood@gmail.com
>
> Joan Crawford =A0- "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar. Everything=
 I earn, I spend."