[aklug] Re: Good spots for Windows help?

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 11:48:45 AKST

Joshua J. Kugler wrote, on 2/17/2010 11:39 AM:
> So, this is a Linux group, and a very helpful one at that. If I need
> help with something Linux or open source related, I go here, or jump on
> an IRC channel, or some such.
>
> Weeeeell...I'm doing some Windows admin, and permissions aren't working
> like I'd expect. Any windows admins on this list? Where do you go when
> you have Windows related questions (besides google)? Any good forums?
> News groups? IRC channels?

expertsexchange.com! Just kidding. I hate those guys.

Seriously, though: http://serverfault.com/. From the people who
brought you Stack Overflow (which is what I found out about first).

There's a reason that Stack Overflow answers are starting to show up at
the top of Google results. It and its kin are karma-based, so lurk a
little before posting. The tagging systems rock, good answers bubble up
to the top, and people get rewarded for asking good questions as well as
providing good answers.

For Windows perms weirdness, I recommend AccessEnum, from the
Sysinternals guys.

Royce