[aklug] Re: Zangle info

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Feb 02 2010 - 04:24:55 AKST

My girlfriend works with ASD in a department that has to query
information out of Zangle. I was somewhat disgusted when she went
into detail about the district wide situations that have cropped up
because of this transition. Any techie with just a little information
on the issues would easily point out the massive amount of waste going
into this project. I'm not going to spread any specific rumors.. boy
I want too.. lets just say the incompetence is multi-tiered at ASD.

Functionality wise. For a LOT LESS THAN 1 million dollars per project
I would gladly hire a team of people for what.. a month?.. and replace
broken people and software throughout the school district. It's
probably not that easy of course, but we all know it shouldn't have
cost as much as it did in time and product.

Of course it's not Zangles fault that it is what it is. The people
that would be responsible for Zangle reviewed it and their objections
were simply ignored. What's strange is that if I made a million
dollar mistake at any job I've ever had it would cost me my job as
well as anybody else involved. Even if that amount was lost over a
year or two, I'm simply not worth that much to any company, very few
people are.

Marc and I have talked about a few other aspects to the school
district that would put most of our list members in a permanent pantie
twist. The people responsible for very technical problem solving
don't seem to be the technical people at all - they are hardly
consulted. Personally I have been feeling very motivated lately to
just drop what I'm doing and join ASD in order to offer some sort of
offset to this mentality. I'm guessing they aren't hiring "Technology
Liaison" types right now - but that would be an ideal location for
anybody that has dealt with document management and database design.
Somebody to sit in on departmental meetings and help organize
high-dollar decision making as well as beef up the I.T. team.

I can't place a lot of faith in this, but I hear the board has gained
a few younger members and many of the people that are behind many of
the problems the district faces are nearing retirement. I know it
will take a few years and may be a crapshoot, but I hope the change in
leadership will help with the information problems throughout the
district.

- Shane