[aklug] Re: Unsung Linux Games

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Jan 29 2010 - 21:53:58 AKST

Bruce Hill wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 03:30:23PM -0900, Royce Williams wrote:
>> Even the most stripped-down distro ships with the Guess the Next Letter
>> Game.
>>
>> royce@mycroft:~$ strings /dev/urandom | head -1 | cut -b1

[snip]

>> I usually lose.

> *Usually?*

Well, it's one chance in [insert count of printable ASCII characters
here as defined by 'strings'], I guess. Doing the actual math would
seem like cheating. I like some mystery in my games.

It's one of those games that doesn't require a significant time
commitment. You can play for three seconds, or three hours -- great for
people with dynamic schedules. Playing the /dev/zero variant is more of
a time sink, but some people like to live on that dangerous edge.

It's also not as much fun to watch people playing it on TV (not nearly
as fun as watching golf, poker or Quoits). If there is an international
GtNL Tournament of the Stars, I'm not sure who its corporate sponsors
would be.

Royce