[aklug] Re: /opt

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Jan 29 2010 - 13:10:40 AKST

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Damien Hull wrote:

> Third party applications get installed in /opt. These are applications
> that are not in the repository. This is the way I partition my system.
>
> / = 7000mb
> SWAP = 3000mb
> /home = everything else
>
> Should I add /opt to the list? I'm thinking 3000mb or so.

I use LVM (w/MD) and have the following layout for a desktop system:

   / 1G
   /usr 8G
   /var 2G
   /tmp 1G
   /home ? (whatever I need)
   /opt 2G
   swap 2G

Sometimes I just symlink /opt to /usr/opt, though.

There's a whole philosphy & rationale why this should be the minimum
filesystems you have. I wholeheartedly believe that an entire OS in / is
idiotic. I also acknowledge that having / in LVM certainly complicates
things in a disaster-recovery scenario, but not enough for me to forgo it.

On my system disks I have only two disk partitions -- one for /boot and one
for the LVM PV (which will be on a RAID MD).

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die