[aklug] Bonding multiple network connections

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 20 2010 - 13:44:54 AKST

Hello all -

Looking for anyone with experience bonding network connections, or who
has even researched the concept. Would love to discuss your
experiences and insights. I have run a load-balancing setup for a
while with two separate modems/connections via a layer 3 router
appliance. This works for opening up multiple transfer sessions
aggregating your bandwidth in a roundabout way, but I had a thought
the other day that perhaps if I looked at renting a dedicated host in
a datacenter somewhere, and establishing separate VPN connections over
both links from my network to the rented server, by controlling the
software at both ends perhaps I could truly bond the connection and be
able to increase my bandwidth over a single TCP session.

Back in the late 90's/early 2000's some specific ISPs offered to bond
connections via "MLPPP", which again required specific
software/hardware at both your end and the ISPs hence the limited
rollout, but the support for MLPPP doesn't seem to be what I would
call solid these days due to the lack of demand (from what I can
tell). This is the path I'm currently exploring due to my previous
thought that if I controlled the software at both ends of the VPN
tunnel I might be able to actually achieve a bonded connection.
Thought I see if any fellow LUG members had looked into this before
(or actually done it) before I go about reinventing the wheel.

Many thanks for any/all feedback and ideas.

Cheers,

--
Scott A. Johnson
scott.a.johnson@gmail.com